Horner Cemetery & All the Firsts in Northampton County
The first permanent settlement of Northampton County, PA was called Craig’s Irish Settlement and was founded in 1728. Please note, that is 13 years before the Moravians.
They also established the first church congregation in Northampton County in 1731. It was called The Presbyterian Church of Allen Township. (now located in E. Allen Township.)
James King was buried in 1745, making the cemetery the first and oldest of Northampton Co. Another first includes, Jane Horner, who was the first woman killed by Indians.
The cemetery holds the remains of the famous founders of our area, including 3 generals, 7 attorneys, 4 doctors, 3 ministers, and at least 21 already documented veterans from 4 wars. George Palmer was William Penn’s surveyor and had Palmer Township named after him.
Gen. Robert Brown was a personal friend of former Pres. George Washington. During a visit, George Washington gave Gen. Brown a small tree in the spirit of their friendship. The memory of that tree is alive as the logo for Bath and E. Allen Township.
General John Ralston was a member of the Constitutional Convention and the Continental Congress and helped frame the Constitution of the United States of America.
James Ralston made his place in history by building Fort Ralston; the remains of the structures can still be seen from the Bath-Northampton Bike Trail or the warehouse parking lot near the Barnhouse Restaurant.
James Ralston also founded the town of Bath, PA. Arthur Lattimore, who is buried here, owned the first house in Bath. Captain Hays owned Hays Tavern, which is known as Woody’s in Weaversville.
By Peggy Moser, Horner Cemetery Historical Society
If anyone is interested in helping, work hours are any Saturday morning. Donations are gratefully appreciated. Visit the Horner Cemetery Historical Society website!